Click for Houston, Texas Forecast


Teaching English in China

If you're a person who likes adventure, and you are willing to be flexible and put up with a few inconveniences, teaching English in China is sure to provide an incomparable experience.

Each year, a lot of North Americans travel to Asia to work as English teachers. Many don't have teaching credentials and very few speak any Asian languages to earn wages of $15, $30 and even more per hour! How do they do it? The simple fact is that these people are native speakers of English. And you can do it, too!

Requirements for Application:

  • Application form: download the application form, fill it and send it back by e-mail, fax or mail to us.

  • Resume/CV with recent color photo

  • Photocopy of highest academic diploma

  • Photocopy of the data page of passport

  • Two letters of recommendation (from any two people who know you well)

  • Chinese schools will assist you with Z/L Visa application by providing a letter of invitation, work permit, Z-visa (occasionally L-visa) documents, foreign expert license and residential permit in China

  • A physical exam may be required by the Chinese government after arrival in China.

Back To Top

Application and Program Fee: There is no charge to apply. If applicants are successfully placed at a Chinese school (after they have accepted the job offer), they are required to pay $300.00 U.S. dollars to cover all registration and placement expenses.

Back To Top

Application Process: All, applicants will be notified by email as to whether their application has been successful.

  • Complete the Application Form: Upon receipt of the form we will assess your suitability for the program.

  • Contact You: If you are successful we will then email you a letter of preliminary acceptance.

  • Decision Point: Once you have read through the letter of preliminary acceptance and we have answered any questions or concerns that you might have, it is time to pay your application fee. Please note that we will refund your application fee if you decide not to go.

  • Confirmation: Once the application fee is paid, our office will contact you to ensure everything is organized. We will guide you to apply China visa and give you more information about travel to China.

  • Communication and Support: Throughout your teaching placement we will communicate with you to see how you are progressing and discuss any issues.

Back To Top


  • baccalaureate degree (Not required but helpful)

  • teaching experience (preferable but not mandatory)

  • native-fluency in English

  • an excellent command of spoken and written English

Back To Top

Positions and Duties:

Although teaching duties vary from one school to another, average teaching loads range from 20 to 30 hours of instruction per week. Positions ranges from elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, vocational schools, professional training schools and colleges etc. The emphasis of teaching is on "conversational English" and North American culture. Many teachers may teach English composition, reading and American literature as well. Teachers are expected to write lesson plans, take attendance, correct homework and even assist in academic counseling when needed.

Back To Top


  • Free accommodation. (Fully furnished one or two bedroom apartment with A/C, TV, etc.)

  • Monthly salary from 4000 to 9000 Chinese Yuan.

  • One or two months paid vacation with National Public Holidays

  • Free medical care in China

  • Free a round-trip or one-way international airfare with one year or half year teaching contract

Back To Top

Certification Terms:



ESL stands for English as a Seconded Language. ESL is English taught to learners whose native language is not English but who live in an English-speaking country, for example, a refugee living in the United States studying English.

Back To Terms Back To Top


EFL stands for English as a Foreign Language. EFL is English taught to learners whose native language is not English and who live in a non-English-speaking country, for example, a learner in China studying English.

Back To Terms Back To Top


TESL means Teaching English as a Second Language. TESL describes the teaching of English to non-native students in countries like America, where the students need to learn English to function in everyday society. TESL can also refer to teaching English in a country like Singapore or Hong Kong, where English is an official language but most residents have a different first or "home" language such as Mandarin Chinese that they use in the home or most social situations.

TESL courses are not standardized. Every school or institution can offer his own version of a TESL certificate program.

Back To Terms Back To Top


TEFL means Teaching English as a Foreign Language. TEFL correctly refers only to teaching English to pupils who are in a non-English-speaking area, such as China, Japan, Korea and most Eastern European countries.

TEFL courses are not standardized. Every school or institution can offer his own version of a TEFL certificate program.

Back To Terms Back To Top


TESOL, meaning Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, is a good catch-all term, since it refers to pretty much any kind of English teaching as long as it's to non-native English speakers. This term can be confusing though, since it also refers to TESOL, Inc., which is the world's largest organization of ESL instructors.

Back To Terms Back To Top


CTEFLA stands for Certificate for Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults. CTEFLA is generally used in reference to the certificate given to successful participants in the Cambridge certificate program. This certification is also known as RSA (Royal Society of Arts) certification, RSA Cert, RSA Cambridge CTEFLA, or RSA/CTEFLA. This program is the most widely recognized EFL program in the world, and courses are offered at universities and training centers all over the world. Courses last either one month (full-time) or two months (part-time), and instruction is aimed particularly at English teaching in foreign countries (EFL).

Back To Terms Back To Top

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:

Back To Top

Q: What are the average monthly expenses for an English teacher? Will I be able to save money to do some light traveling?

A: The average monthly expense is about 1500 yuan. It varies from city to city. Most of our teachers can save enough from their salary to do some travel during the school break and holidays. You are able to live comfortably on the salary as your host school provides your accommodations; your major expenses will only include food and daily necessities.

Back To FAQ Back To Top

Q: Is a round trip plane ticket from the United States to China covered by the Chinese host school? Do most teachers receive round trip?

A: The Chinese host schools pay for the airfare. Some schools pay airfare upfront, some may pay a flat fee or reimburse your airfare when you complete your teaching contract. If you can get a free round trip tickets depends on how long you will teach English in the host school. Usually, half year contract can get an one-way airfare and one year contract get a round-trip.

Back To FAQ Back To Top

Q: What does the "free medical care" mean?

A: Foreign teachers usually have the same medical insurance or health care policy as the Chinese faculty does. The policy varies from school to school. Normally the individual pays 20% of the medical bills and the school/insurance pays 80% of the medical bills.

Back To FAQ Back To Top

Q: Does the program help/arrange for work permits/visas? Is visa fees covered by the host school?

A: Yes, we handle all the employment authorization and visa paper work for you before departure to China. About 50% of our Chinese host schools reimburse our teachers for their visa fee.

Back To FAQ Back To Top

Q: Do we get to choose or at least indicate where we would like to be placed?

A: Yes. You can indicate where you would like to be placed either during the phone interview or on your application form. If you are accepted, you will be given two or three choices of schools according to your preferred location and preferred student age.

Back To FAQ Back To Top

Q: Could my spouse/friend and I be placed together?

A: Yes, if you request to be placed together during the phone interview.

Back To FAQ Back To Top

Q: Are utilities also paid by the Chinese host schools?

A: With most schools, if the utility usage is within the basic amount, utilities are paid by the school. Some schools will ask the teachers to pay the utility amount that exceeds the basic amount.

Back To FAQ Back To Top


2014 MBA Global Study

An Insider's Journey of China

2014 La Porte Hosts NanKai Students

New MOU signed bewteen TSU & China

2013 AHO China Conference

MBA Global Study

Tianjin Students in I-SWEEEP Competition

Tianjin Delegation Visited Houston

Sucessfully Recruit 2006 Nobel Prize Laureate Dr.George Smoot work in China

Training on US Social Security & Welfare Systems

the 60th Anniversary of QiQihar University

China Handbook | China Yearly Climate | China Travel Guide | Travel Tips | Traveler Form.pdf | Terms and Conditions
©1997 ~ 2014 Easton Resource Development, Inc.